Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Is there a wrong way of holding chopsticks?

The answer is no! Typically speaking, the function of chopsticks is to assist in the eating of food. If someone holds the chopsticks in such a way that it interferes with the function of the chopsticks, ontologically speaking the chopsticks ceased to be chopsticks. In other words, chopsticks are not chopsticks until they function as chopsticks. Hence, there can be no wrong way of holding chopsticks - you must either hold them rightly, or you are not really holding chopsticks.

I bring up this point because my father, who saw the supposedly "wrong" way of my cousin's holding her chopsticks, tries very hard to correct my cousin's ways at the dinner table. You can see that I wholeheartedly disagree with him. I think he is being tremendously arrogant in thinking that he holds the "ultimately correct" way of holding the chopsticks and none of us (meaning the young ones in the family) do. I keep on telling him: if you do not like other people imposing ideas to change you, do not try to change others by imposing your ideas.

He thinks that I'm too western - and true enough.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha ...

10:01 p.m.  
Blogger Minch said...

I don't think ur dad wasn't trying to teach the "right" way of holding chopsticks, but the proper etiquette to holding it. Even in western culture there are certain forks and cutlery for salad vs. main course and all that junk. And sipping tea with ur pinky finger pointing out, etc. Personally, i could care less :P

1:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home